Infidelity is a reminder that we can manage on our own

After being married or committed to one person for decades, it becomes a habit to make decisions together and to face everyday challenges as a couple.

When infidelity strikes, it usually catches the betrayed off-guard. No one expects their suspicions to be true. We all hope for the best until we have definite proof right in front of us.



I was betrayed by my husband of twenty years and we are now working on recovery. The trust will never be the same. I now know that he is capable of lying to me if he wants to cover up a deed that will upset me.

I am giving my love for him a chance and we are working together on creating new memories. I have to be mindful of our present to leave the past where it belongs. Intruding thoughts still appear unannounced.

The deal is that if he betrays me again, he will leave. There will be no second chance.

I wish this never happened but, since it did, I am now aware of the challenges I will face if it happens again. I am not afraid of my husband straying like I was as the daughter of an unfaithful. I am now the betrayed wife. It is not shameful since infidelity is 100% the choice of the betrayer.

There is nothing I could have done to prevent it. It happened to us like it happens to many others. What we make of it is what makes us unique. I don't want to be bitter about it so I focus on the positives of this second marriage with the man I fell in love with twenty-four years ago and with whom I share three children.

If there is one positive after sailing through infidelity, is that I am a stronger person. I had to do things as myself and not thinking as a couple. It was a break from being two to being one again. I was reminded that I can do it and I am prepared for the next time it happens, if it happens.

Comments

Most viewed articles