What empowers you? Do more of that #AffairRecovery

Have you found that activity that makes you feel fully accomplished right after you have done it? It doesn't have to be your occupation. It can be a hobby or a routine you could do more of. 

A few weeks ago, I talked about how Dr van der Kolk MD, author of The Body Keeps the Score, stands by the principle that we cannot only RECOVER from trauma but we can be CURED from it. 

Who doesn't want to leave trauma in the past? 

I have been following a simple approach during the last few months. My friends have noticed my change. I do not engage on activities that will not make me feel better afterwards. I have said NO to invites that are meh. If they don't wow me, I do not attend. 

Are you saying NO more often? It is liberating. 

Writing makes me feel accomplished. There is something about organising my ideas using text format that gives me this sense of achievement. So I do more of that. 

Like today, after having taught a lesson to a teen, I felt joy. I love teaching and learning, understanding and helping others understand. I felt the need to share with you in this blog article. Two empowering activities for me.

Other people like baking, cleaning, earning lots of money trading, styling hair, designing clothes, caring for abandoned dogs or cats. There are so many activities we can do. 

If you have an occupation and it doesn't give you joy, it's not helping in healing your trauma. 

You must find what makes you smile and do more of that. The first step is to notice what that might be. And then make sure you do it regularly and as often as possible. 

Empowerment is not about being physically or mentally strong. Is about doing something challenging that you can successfully complete. 

"Empowerment is about doing something challenging that you can successfully complete." 

What are you good at? Do MORE of it. 

Keep walking, keep noticing and keep repeating what makes you feel good about yourself. 

You deserve to be happy.

Love, 

Helen 

Comments

Most viewed articles